You have your moods; and so does your skin.
As the hormones keep your body running through the monthly cycles, the condition of your skin changes.
Besides the right diet, exercise, and a calm frame of mind, suitable skincare helps too.
Gloria Yuan, an aromatherapist with more than a decade of experience; and international support and trainer at Neal’s Yard Remedies, was in Singapore for the launch of the Deliciously Ella x Neal’s Yard Rose, Lime & Cucumber line (pictured).
She shares tips on how to care for your skin (and body) throughout your monthly cycle.
Before your period: Skin might become oily, with clogged pores that result in pimples. Legs may become swollen, and your abdomen may become bloated.
Use an oil-free and mattifying serum to control the oil. The Clarifying Mahonia Skin Gel is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory, so it helps to calm skin.
To deal with the swelling legs and bloatedness, pamper yourself with essential oils.
Add 25 drops of geranium essential oil into a 100ml bottle of sweet almond oil. Massage it into your lower back, and the abdomen after your bath. Or add five drops of essential oil into a warm bathtub.
During your period: The skin may become a little drier, and the menstrual cramps hit, while the bloating may continue.
Include a facial oil into your beauty routine, like the Rehydrating Rose Face Oil; and a moisturiser with hyaluronic acid, or a richer cream such as the Frankincense Hydrating Cream to lock it all in.
Stick to the same formula (25 drops of essential oil + 100ml of sweet almond oil).
For every other day, these are Gloria’s favourite items from NYR.
- Frankincense Intense Eye Cream: “I travel a lot, so this help to ease my puffy eyes.”
- Yarrow and Comfrey Moisturiser: “It calms and heals breakouts, and contains astringent properties. It is not as oily, so it is good for use in the summertime.”
- Oil-free Hydrating Serum: “It is mattifying and smells great, while still keeping the skin hydrated.”
- Organic Eye Make-up Remover: “It is very gentle, not drying, and removes waterproof make-up. Made with rosewater so it smells great.”
- Wild Rose Beauty Balm: “I use this as a mask to re-hydrate my skin after plane trips that dry out my skin. It is multi-tasking too; you could use it as a makeup remover, or dry skin on any part of your body to make it a glow. I also like to use this on top of my blusher as a simple highlighter.”
- White Tea Enriching Facial Mask: “I use this to get rid of angry acne that is causing trouble deep beneath the skin. After my regular skincare night routine, I layer this mask just on the affected areas, and go to sleep. The next morning, a whitehead appears where the acne is, and I can remove it easily.”
©The Beauty Gazette
Picture: Neal’s Yard Remedies